What Does USDA Organic Even Mean?
There are many products on the market that claim to be organic. However, it is very important to look for a product that has the USDA Organic badge on the product label. This gives you the confidence that you are getting a product that meets national standards for organic.
What does this certification mean?
Here are some criteria that a product must meet in order to qualify for this specific type of certification.
- Avoidance of certain chemicals in the production of the food (e.g., fertilizer, pesticides, antibiotics and food additives), irradiation and the use of sewage sludge
- No genetically modified or engineered ingredients
- Use of farmland that has been free from prohibited chemical inputs for a number of years (often three or more)
- Keeping detailed written production and sales records (audit trail)
- Maintaining strict physical separation of organic products from non-certified products
- Undergoing periodic on-site inspections
If you are looking for a great organic protein shake, try the Purely Inspired® Organic Protein for a delicious organic, gluten-free, non-genetically engineered and 100% plant-based protein formula!